This house at 706 San Antonio is also known as Bellevue Cottage. It
was built by Harvey and Catherine North around the same time that they built
the North Flats
intended this to be a music studio for their daughter, Athalia, who was studying in Europe;
but on her trip home, she developed pneumonia and died in New York.
Major and Mrs. Ira Evans bought the property in 1892, and it remained in
their family till 1955 -- long after they had sold the
chateau next door
to the Austin Woman's Club.
The house has two below-street levels on the far side, allowing room for
apartments. It remains an apartment house to this day.
Sources: Sue Brandt McBee, Austin: The Past Still Present,
Heritage Society of Austin, 1975, pg. 124; Heritage Society of Austin,
Historic Austin: A Collection of Walking/Driving Tours, 1981, pg.21.